A pre-employment development program designed for adults preparing for a career in the skilled trades.
Building for the Future is a resource developed by PTP, designed as a Self-Exploration tool for students who are interested in apprenticeships in Ontario. PTP has expanded the resource to develop a practical program, assisting students through their journey into the skilled trades.
The program aims to provide students with the knowledge of workplace expectations and an individualized plan for getting themselves into the trade they are best suited and most interested in.
What to Expect
Instruction in the following
- initial assessment, gauging students’ literacy and grade levels
- introduction to SMART Goal Planning
- personality inventory testing, helping students determine what type of learner they are: Visual, Auditory, etc
- guest speakers from various trades
- introductory Trades Communication training
- introductory employment preparation: Resume development, Networking, Contacting Employer Workshops
- employment support following successful completion of program
Special Features of this Program
- workplace literacy for Apprenticeships is available separately to students, within PTP’s LBS programs
- seamless employment support is available via PTP’s Job Solutions program
- each student is offered one-to-one career planning and support, during and after the program
Who is eligible?
- male and female adults 19 years of age and older
- must have clear goal of working in a skilled trade
- grade 10 education or higher
- motivated individuals who are able to commit to attending a part-time program 100% of the time
12 weeks, 6 hours of instruction per week, with an additional hour available to students for additional counselling support prior to each class
How to enroll
Please note: the Apprenticeship Career Exploration program is not currently running. Please check this page in the future for an updated schedule.
Please call for more information or to set up an appointment.
East Centre 416 510 3266
West Centre 416 239 7309
Our two training centres are easily accessible by TTC – see our contact page for maps.